Wednesday, April 27, 2005

THE PROMOTION!

My job in some ways is inspiring to me because I have the pleasure of interacting with our clients during the day. I work in a day treatment gender specific program for at-risk girls. I am a great lover of kids of all ages and enjoy my experiences with them. The catch is I’m not a counselor or a teacher and do not have to impose consequences on them. Instead, being an administrative assistant, I get to be a positive and lovable influence on them so they think I am cool. What am I saying? I am cool, plus you have to be somewhat of a kid yourself, and that would be me.

I get to greet them every morning when they come in, and give them hugs and encouragement, by letting them know how much I care and want to see them obtain their goals. They in turn become attached to me and vice versa.

During my tenure here, I have worked in several different locations as the program has grown over the years. We also serve many at risk boys in many different kinds of program settings.

My first ten to twelve years on the job, the kids began calling me “mom.” It was such a pleasure to be referred to as “mom,” and even the parents/guardians got a kick out of it. It started with a red-head boy who was able to sense my interest in his success in the program. He started calling me mom, and it caught on and continued over the years.

I am now of course older, and as the years have gone by, I have continued to enjoy my involvement with the kids and they with me. I have always had a sense of humor and we share laughs and the crazies. It’s easy when you are not a threat. Often times, I may get too involved and have to have a little conversation with my superiors about becoming too attached, but that’s me (it doesn’t get me in too much trouble), I have been in fact “everyone’s mother,” even my co-workers no matter how old they are and they all know it.

During the past few months, my involvement with the girls have included, walking at the lake during their gym and my lunch break, going to the YMCA on other days, etc., One day I realized that I have been promoted. Are you ready for this one? One of my girls started to call me “granny,” and guess what? It has caught on. WHAT A PROMOTION!!! Of course as far as my 22-year old granddaughter is concerned, I am about to get the ultimate promotion! Grr – grr ---gr--- (gee, I’m having trouble getting it out). Okay, it’s coming, here it comes – Greeeeat Grandma – ohhh that was hard but it finally forced it's way out.

3 Comments:

Blogger ShellyP said...

Oh my goodness! That's wonderful. What a blessing to be able to receive the promotion of great grandmother. Many times I wish my own grandmother was still here to see my son. I know she would have loved him.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

That's what I'm gonna have Bro. K start calling you. Grannie Gig.

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm... sometimes one has to be careful with those promotions... because you don't want to destroy what you have already.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home