Monday, March 13, 2006

My Sickle Cell Presentation was Successful

Thanks for your input on my speech about Sickle Cell Anemia. It went well. I was afraid my memory would slip up on me and I would continuously forget what I'm trying to say. I whispered a prayer and told the story with only one senior moment, and no one could tell it. I have been asked to come out to another group of womenn at a local high school and speak about it again. It seems that most of the parents here are unaware of the disease. I would really love to get infomation out to as many people as I can. It may cut down on the number of babies who are born with it.

As I mentioned in my last post, Sickle Cell Disease is an inherited disease that is present mostly in African Americans and very devastating. If I can somehow get the message out that all children should be tested for the disease or the trait before deciding to get married and have children, or before deciding on having sex. People need to know whether or not they are carriers and also if their partners are also. If both partners are carriers (have sickle Cell Trait) there is supposed to be a one in four chance that the baby or babies will have the disease. Actually there are several families who I have come in contact with who have more than one child with the disease, such as three children. Sickle Cell disease is no joke and can be very expensive on a family.

4 Comments:

Blogger David Cho said...

Good job! Is there a picture of you delivering the speech? Will you tell us about the "senior moment"?

10:20 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

good for you

11:04 AM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Knew you'd do well!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Mz. G sounds like God has really gave you a calling with that. I bet you where amazing keep up the great work..

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home