Wednesday, June 22, 2005

I Need No Praise for this one

I’m driving home from work on a fairly busy street. There is a banging gospel CD playing; one of my favorite Groups (Richard Smallwood and Vision). I am about to cross an intersectiion after the light turns green. I look up and some woman is walking down the middle of the road with her arm straight up (flagging me down). She came right up in front of my car (thanks to God there were no cars coming in the back of me). I had no other choice but to stop or run right into her. I rolled down the window and told her I would have to turn off on the side street to talk to her. She asked for help to get her high blood pressure medicine so she said. I asked “how much do you need”? She said “only a couple dollars to get it,” telling me that her pressure is way up.

I‘m thinking “do I look like I‘m stupid or something?” I didn’t buy the high blood pressure story, but I reached in my pocket to give her a few dollars. At that time, she asked “can I have $5.00?” I must have looked like I would buy that line of jive. However, I did tell her all I had was $3.00. I gave it to her and we went on our way.

In the Bible it says not to tell your alms before men to get praise, because you will already have your reward, so I’m not telling my alms, but just sharing with you this strange incident that happened. The next time I see someone walking down the middle of the road with their hand in the air I will try to swerve around them. Actually I don’t mind helping people who are down and out, I just have a problem giving people money to support their habits. But I did anyway, didn't I?

There is actually a man who stands in the vicinity of Ninth and University holding a sign that says “I won’t lie, I need a beer.” Can you believe that? As far as I’m concerned, he will continue to want a beer.

7 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

YOu need to be careful about that kind of stuff. I'd have handed that woman a dollar and moved on. Or I'd have waved her away. Not to be mean, but people get robbed in Austin by pan-handlers playing little tricks like that. In this case, I'm glad you blew your alms, so I can holler at YOU FOR STOPPING TO GIVE THAT WOMAN SOME MONEY.

6:18 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Gee - Devas -- thanks for yelling at me. I knew that role reversal would happen eventually.

What you said does make sense. Thanks

6:54 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

We have the same problem here to Mz. Gig. I feel the same way as you. The worst here is the women who come up from Mexico and they rent children for the day and sit in the hot sun in front of Barnes and Noble or the grocery store begging for money. It infuriates me to see those poor kids sitting out in the sun.

One day, I gave a few McD's hamburgers to a homeless man and his puppy, and he was so very grateful. That made me feel good. But one time, there was a guy holding a sign that said, "Will work for food." So, I went to the McD's at that corner and I bought him a few burgers and such, and he refused them. He told me, "Oh come on lady, you really think I NEED that? I just want money!"

After that, I don't give to those who panhandle on the street. When I started noticing these "homeless people" wearing better shoes and listening to portable cd players, I knew there was a scam going on.

God knows we want to do the right thing and trust these people. But, it's the other people who aren't doing the right thing and drag us down with them. *sighs*

Just be very careful in the future Mz. Gig. I would hate to see anything happen to such a beautiful and wonderful person. *HUGS*

9:37 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

When I help people I generally help them with things instead of money.

Sometimes that is different.

I just keep hearing the parable of the sheep and goats, and think, I have to do something.

Other times, when I am fairly confident I am being scammed, I send people on.

As for the man that wants a beer, I might be willing to help him. At least he is honest.

The problem is that there are people that make a pretty good living panhandling. Like $300 a day or something. So at the end of the day they hop into their Lexus and go home.

That is not a good thing

12:04 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Oh Mz Gig, you should really be careful. We got people here flag you down and rob you or steal your car. I used to would pull over and help change a tire and stuff. then they had an event not to long ago where a couple would steal your car and money. So you really should be careful. I just keep on going now.

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Yes, that is too bad that the innocent always has to pay for the sins of the guilty. Look at Jesus, he really paid a heavy price and that is putting it mildly.

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got accosted by some woman who wanted money for her cat to have food. Gave it to her, and she took my hand and said something about the Lord blessing me or something.

If I'm honest, THAT freaked me out more than anything else, and I don't have a clue why.

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home