Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"I'm Not Doing Anything Without My Dad"

She exclaimed as she told me her happy news. I was very touched as I listened to my oldest granddaughter tell me how her boyfriend took her to dinner, and proposed to her, after he asked her dad for permission to marry her first. As we talked about the wedding plans, she blurted out -- "I want my dad to be there." "I'm not going to do anything without my dad." I beamed as I heard the love in her 23-year-old voice, as she sounded like a little girl who truly loves her dad.

When she was three and one-half months old, she came to live with us. A beautiful little baby girl who was quickly spoiled by our family. Her dad was in college and took on custody of his little girl and as young as he was, he was like both mother and father to her. I remember when he was in college and how all of his classmates admired this young student who was not only the "student of the month" the whole time he was there, but prevailed in his classes while raising an infant child. He even received notes from his peers about how they admired him.

Just before the graduation ceremony, there was a program that took place where a taping was shown of each student, their accomplishments and their goals. Afterwards there was a social gathering kind of like an open house. Dad had his little girl right there with him, she was dressed to a "T" and dad was proud.

Number one granddaughter presented many challenges throughout her life (and that's putting it mildly), but dad hung in there with her even throughout the drama she presented constantly, etc., even when he sometimes felt like giving up. She always knew who she could count on even when she was angry with him and disrespectful.

I cannot leave out the wife as she was strict, but loving and "S" needed that even though at times she resented her step mom, but in the long run, she learned to appreciate her and looked up to her as a true mother figure.

I have seen her grow in several ways during the past few years and now she is a mother, and I would say a pretty good one. The love between "S" and her is a very unique one as it is with most "daddy's and daughters." I am happy for her and hope the LORD will bless their marriage. God bless you "S" and I love you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Friar Tuck said...

its always nice to see things kinda come together isnt it?

3:44 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Yes Clint, it is and I'm glad to know that things are coming together for my granddaughter.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Congratulations to your granddaughter. That is wonderful.

I'm really glad that things are coming together for all of you.

God bless. *HUGS*

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home