Saturday, July 08, 2006

"Living With Guilt"

Guilt -- it can eat you alive! Today was "G's" funeral as he was cremated just after his death and we have been waiting for his family to arrive from out of town. It was a wonderful service. I sat there and listened to the music, comments, and just took in the whole service. All of a sudden my eyes were fixed on a small porcelin type square container. I knew right away that his ashes were in there. It gave me a feeling of sadness because knowing that was what was left of him.

I have been in my own way mourning him. He was my cousin and someone I really cared about. No matter how he lived his life, he always made me laugh and everyone else he came in contact with.

The guilt I'm feeling today is the fact that after being in a nursing home for about a year or more, he finally got out and was renting a cute little house. He came by one day to visit me and told me where he lived and asked me to come by some time. I said I would. He came by again some time later and visited with me but since I was on my way (I think to church), I couldn't visit with him very long. The last time he called me, he was inebriated and I can hardly remember our conversation, but I do remember him mentioning to me to drop by and again I said I would. In my travels about town, to and from work, out to the lake to walk, to the store and other places, I did intend to go by and visit, but I never made it. In my mind now I wondered if he was lonely and just needed someone to talk to. I keep thinking that perhaps if I had gone over there a few times, maybe he wouldn't have been drinking and maybe I could have made a difference. I know that God will relieve me of this guilt some time soon, but in the mean time, I keep think of him and tearing up. Please pray for me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Dont let the past get ya down...look to the future.

10:32 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Thanks for your honesty in sharing this very poignant story. ((((hugs))))

6:35 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I've known G all my life, and I don't think I've ever, EVER seen him when he wasn't fall-down drunk. That said, whether you visited, or not, and whether he was lonely, or not, he still would have been slobbering drunk. I don't say that to be mean or harsh -- it's just true. I am saddened by the who thing as well.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I'm with Friar...

"But this one thing I do: Forgetting the past and looking forward to tomorrow." Phillipians 3:13

This has been one of my lifesaving verses lately. I have had guilt, worries and many things that have bogged me down. Look forward to tomorrow. Have faith that you did what you could do, and the choices that your cousin made were his alone. God gave him the choice. It was not your fault.

I'm praying for you Mz. Gig. I know in my heart that God does not think you to blame for the death of your cousin. Remember the good things there are to remember and let go of the negative.

*HUGS* and love.

12:33 PM  
Blogger ShellyP said...

Don't do it to yourself! It won't change the past. You can't take take care of everyone. People have to take responsibility for themselves.

How do you know you didn't make a difference in his life anyway?

You'll be in my prayers.

12:38 PM  
Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

let go of the guilt...
u r precious!!!

don't blame urself!

4:48 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

(sorry to use this as a message board for Buck, but I have no other way to reach him).

Buck, what is going on with your blog? Did you disable commenting? If so, you didn't announce it. Did jerks make this happen?

11:47 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Hey Cho Cho -- I have the same question about Buck. I went to double click on Brotha Buck last evening and his links were gone. Has he kicked us to the curb or what???? :-( I'll find out, hopefully." Maybe the lizard ran him and his family out of the house. *grin*

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home