Sunday, December 03, 2006

From Obituary Reading People/ To Who is Expecting the Birth of His First Child?

I have noticed that when a person picks up the newspaper, one of the first places they go to is the obituaries to see who has passed away. Even though no one wants to see a friend, relative, acquaintance die, I believe the object of going into that part of the newspaper has to do with curiosity -- looking to see if anyone you know has died lately and wanting to be the first to tell someone to see their reaction. It seems to me that during this time of year, deaths of people we know are on the increase. Between last November until this date, there has been approximately four people I know who died in Hospice. I have never had to visit anyone there until this past year. Presently, an old friend of mine who started school the same time I did as a little girl is now in Hospice and of course the first reaction to hearing that news is one of sorrow, thus knowing that person will die within the next day or two or perhaps in a couple of weeks to come. I have often wondered if anyone has ever left Hospice as a result of being healed -- another chance at life.
What a morbid post, but this is what was on my mind.

On a much happier note, my number two son and his wife are expecting their first baby in March. At one time, the wife didn't want to have children, and number two son went along with it out of love for his wife. Now, at age 40, he's excited he's going to be a daddy. This is my football playing, all around athlete son who looks very awkward doing anything domestic other than playing sports. Now he has to learn how to change diapers, bathe, feed the baby and stay up all night when he/she wakes them up every night for the first "I don't know how many months."

5 Comments:

Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

We just had a memorial service for a very close friend yesterday. It was incredibly difficult. I knew her time was coming soon, because she asked for Hospice care about three weeks ago.

It's hard to lose the people you love.

Now, CONGRATS to the happy couple!!! I'm sure that you are excited for another grandchild! hehehehe

10:14 AM  
Blogger ShellyP said...

40 and it's his first kid?! Wow, good luck and congrats to him!

7:41 PM  
Blogger greggy said...

indeed it is hard to lose the people we love...
And number two son has no idea what he's getting into I think... LOL! Ahhh, it brings back memories of when me and my wife were expecting our first child...*happy sigh*
Anyway how have you been doing?

7:59 AM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Reading the obituaries?

I have never seen anyone who does that, but that may just be how it is around here. There are so many people that each person is just a number.

Congrats to your son.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Believer said...

It's my first time here and I'll be back again for sure! I came across your blog from a post on "Brotha Buck."

This particular post is certainly canny...the circle of life...nothing new under the sun.

Your daughter-in-law at 40 with her first...been there...and still here! My daughter is 27 months and I have tons of tips and advice and the culture shock she's about to experience. Visit www.growingwithjulia.blogspot.com. Tell her to start from the beginning Sept 2004.

All the best to everyone, and make sure you bring her some cooked meals instead of a cute outfit for the baby, or maybe both.

Rosemarie

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home