Saturday, May 28, 2005

Are You Moved?

During a recent conversation with a fellow church congregant, I was asked, “have you ever been moved by anyone you have heard preaching?” “Have you ever felt moved during a sermon?” After thinking about it a minute it was apparent to me that there has been none. Over the years I have heard many sermons, some inspiring and some not. The process of sanctification and justification has been a part of my Spiritual growth. In a lot of cases gospel songs will bring on many emotional feelings, especially if I listen to the words and connect them with how beautiful the music is. There has been tremendous spiritual growth from what I have learned from attending church all those years yet it has been a mystery to think that someone who was practically born in the faith and has known God all of her life doesn’t feel moved by sermons, yet the sweet small voice deep down continues to drive her day in and day out. Sometimes she listens and sometimes not, but the Spirit of the LORD doesn’t give up on her. Many times my prayers are for the sincerity that seems to be missing; the lack of being moved, and emotions I have witnessed by people who are seem to be devout Christians. Could this be playing church on my part? I certainly hope not. It has been said that people who we think will be going to Heaven will not be there, and I definitely pray that this is not in my case.

6 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

I often feel this way about Tammy. I am not a jump-up-and-down, rollin-down-the-asiles church goer like many. Tammy often says that God talks to her. I can't say he talks to me, at least I don't hear voices. But I have been moved by sermons. My problem is that my attention span is short, and if they cant get their sermon out in 15 minutes or less, my mind has moved on to...bloggin, maybe.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Don, I got a couple of books to recommend to you about listening to God.

I heard someone say this about remembering sermons, Gig. How many meals can you remember that you have eaten. My guess is very few. Does that mean that they did not nourish you. Of course not.

I am thoroughly convinced God works in the ordinary a lot more that the flashy.

12:22 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Don: It is my belief that God does talk to you in your conscience and in your mind. The sweet small voice I talked about is, in my opinion, that of the Holy Spirit. So when Tammy says God talks to her, he does, and no you will not hear voices but you will hear thoughts from God. Like you, my attention span is short and my comprehension is bad. When you say you have been moved by sermons, does this mean you get certain feeling when you hear those sermons?

don juan de bubba: Thanks for the comment, at least that gives me hope. I needed to hear that.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Well I to have a short attention spam, maybe we should be praying about that? Well on another note. Some preachers grab my attention and some don't. My pastor on ocassion could put any one to sleep. Then he is fired up and gets right to the word. I think the most memorable services are the ones that hit home. Either by conviction or just blessing me. I agree with Don though I am not much of Jumper lol. I think what gets me the most is singing for Lord. As long as I can sing for him nothing else matters he knows I love him and I know he loves me. That is where I get moved. Hope this helps. Chris

6:55 PM  
Blogger YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I remember one time in particular, that I KNOW I heard Him speak. I was talking to a girlfriend about not getting a promotion. My husband was selected but I wasn't. I wasn't bent out of shape, but I was "whining" basically, "Why not both of us? I work hard too...yadda yadda...". Clear as a bell, "It's not your turn. I'm taking care of the HEAD first!"

I remember stopping in the middle of my sentence like "Huh?... Did you hear that?" Of course, she looked me like I was crazy, but she understood the revelation.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard, I think, 2 sermons myself that moved me. Years ago.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home