Tuesday, May 17, 2005

About My Post on Profanity...

Before I actually got a chance to start blogging, I thought up this post. Not to sit in judgment on anyone but to share my curiosity with other bloggers. I have often wondered about the origin of profanity and how it got started, just as I sometimes wonder where certain slang words/phrases come from -- who starts it -- how does it manage to circulate around the world? I suppose that these days it could come from certain stars on T.V., However, in my day, there were no programs such as what we get today. I also wondered how different dance steps began and was amazed at how everyone everywhere were doing the same dances/slang talk, etc. I think deep a lot, therefore, a person would never even guess what is going through my mind. All of you bloggers/friend out there -- do your thing -- be yourself -- I may be a Christian, but it says in the Bible to never judge anyone -- cause you will be judged for the same thing. Get my drift? I’m enjoying this blogging thang. Love you all much and keep up the good posts… And that person who wants to tell me what or what not to put in my blog or anyone elses -- All I have to say is “You run yo mouth and I’ll run my business bebe.” Can I get a witness!

2 Comments:

Blogger Friar Tuck said...

A lot of cussing comes from a sense of words being vulgar. The word vulgar simply means common. So there were a lot of words that were just too common for polite company, mostly having to do with bodily functions and sexual parts. A lot of this has to do with the early Victorian era, and their attempt to be less "earthy".

the word "F**K" comes from an acronym--fornication under consent of the king. A lot of poorer people could not afford a civil marriage, so they had common law marriages with permission of the government.

Then there are the taking the name of the Lord in vain, and references to hell. These I think are the most serious of the cuss words in my opinion. The rest either being simply impolite in certain company, or used to belittle or insult someone.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Profanity has an interesting history, but sort of an obscure one.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home