Wednesday, May 18, 2005

A Short-term Snob

Hello dahlin – Mz Gig has recently acquired a slight rise in status. Here’s how it came about:

A couple of weeks ago, a co-worker came to me informing me she had hit the front of my car and dented the fender on the passenger side. I was grateful to her for being honest and letting me know. At that time I got some estimates. Since the dent seemed to be of a minimal size, my co-worker thought she could pay for the damage out of her pocket. To our surprise, all three estimates were in the thousand dollar bracket. We selected a body shop and made an appointment to get the car fixed. Today was the day to put the car in the shop. The company made arrangements to rent me a loaner. As far as I was concerned it was not going to be a big deal, probably some little old car that will run fairly good. That’s okay, I can handle that, after all my car is a 2003 Hyundai Accent and I would probably get a 2000 smaller car with thousands of miles on it. BUT, in a couple of days, I will be back into my Hyundai Accent again, and feeling just a little bit like I have some status, after all, the Accent was brand new when I got it.

The dealer and I drove to the rental place and there in the front of the office was a nice shiny navy blue car. I passed by it thinking; this car probably belongs to one of the employees here. We went in and the dealer walked me through the paper work process; I signed the papers and it was now time to get the car. I’m so nervous, I’ve never rented a car before but not to worry, this car would be just an ordinary little rental to drive over the next couple of days. We headed toward the nice car I spotted when I arrived. The manager who was handling my account told me that this 2005 Dodge Neon would be my rental. Wow, I’m going to drive this! -- as far as I’m concerned, that is definitely a step up from a 2003 – right? I drove it back to the office, all the while thinking all of these people out here are probably envying me and thinking – that lady must have some money. I continued to drive back to work with my head up high. After I got there, I informed everyone that I had just gotten a rise in status and to forgive me if I happen to act a little uppity over the next couple of days because I would be driving a 2005 Dodge Neon. Most people would probably think – “that’s not the kind of car to make you feel as though you are a candidate for the rich and famous. BUT, where I’m standing, any 2005 vehicle is a rise from a 2003. Do you get my drift? Oh by the way, I'm really not a snob but it feels good to pretend every now and then - but that's all good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Hehe sounds great, Back when I had my last car a 94 chevy S10 I had it in the shop for a check up and got a 98 grand am as a rental car I felt like I was on top of the world too. lol. Then I wrecked my truck and had a neon as a rental lol I felt like I was in a box. but it was nice like you said to drive something new. I now have a grand am 2002. I am happy with it but I still sneak down and drive a new car once in awhile at the dealerships here. Makes me feel good to.. The little things in life mean so much to us

8:59 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

Good, come on down to Austin!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any newer car is better than an older car.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home