Tuesday, May 03, 2005

"WILL THE REAL KID PLEASE STAND UP?"

This past weekend, two of my adorable grandchildren came to Des Moines. My youngest son was here for the Drake Relays and I had the mere pleasure of visiting with the kids. One is 11-years-old and looks to be about nine and the other is seven. They are happy-go-lucky, flighty little girls who love to play with grandma. Did I say PLAY with grandma? Yes, I did. WE play with dolls, preferably Bratz. They brought all of their little dolls in a bag or case and the fun began. This one has a boyfriend and that one does too. We start in with our little story line which is usually two of them having a disagreement or maybe one is in trouble for some reason or another. We make things up as we go along, talking for each character. There is a playroom in an upstairs bedroom for my grandkids to enjoy when they come and visit. After playtime we go downstairs, maybe watch a little T.V., and this time it was “Veggie Tales.” We sang and danced to the music – oh yeah, the most important thing is that we went to church. They love to go to Sabbath School with grandma because I teach a class and they enjoy it (even though they are too old for my cradle roll class).

Our activities for the weekend included not only McDonald’s Play land but Chuckie Cheeses, visiting around, going to a portion of the relays with daddy (who was supposed to be getting a break from the kids and mom was going to have them the whole weekend to herself),

At one point, the seven-year-old went upstairs and started to play music (did I say music)? Let’s just say “started to play” a little organ I have in the playroom. Grandma joined her with a bunch of teddy bears lined up like a choir. We pretended they were singing and grandma was directing. If anyone had come to visit, I might just have ended up in the nut house or something like that. All in all, it was a blessed weekend with a touch of Ernie from Sesame Street who kept looking for his pal, Bert, who I have not purchased yet, but fortunately “Rubber Ducky” was there to comfort him. (I love it).

I had an opportunity to talk to them about why they should eat healthy fruit such as vegetables and fruit, and how eating hamburgers and French fries all the time is not good for them – so I took out the Bible and read in Genesis, the six days of creation. When I got to the third day, I attempted to give a lecture on how God created vegetables and fruit for us to eat and how those things are better for them and will keep them from getting sick. So, the 11-year-old tells me – “Grandma, I told Mommy that potatoes are fruits that are good for you.” (This was an attempt at trying to persuade me that French fries are good). I said to her, “well you should eat things in moderation so too many fries are not good for you” – she replied “you mean like eating too many carrots are not good for you either?” That one stumped me, but I answered by telling her how potatoes can turn into sugar when they get into the stomach, and she was okay with that one. It was a great weekend and as usual it is hard to see them go. Now I look forward to having Mr. Kolby down in June – that will be another story as Kolby is a character. Dat’s all folks (it’s enough – eh)?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you were anything like it sounds like you are as "Grandma" when you were "Momma" I don't see how in the world any of your children left the nest. It sounds like you have such a love for your family; and in return you get it back "pressed down, shaken together, and running over." Sounds like so much fun with the little ladies. I too play a lot of Bratz with my 7 and 3-year old girls (My poor son uses his Spider Man action figures to sometimes save the damsels in distress, LOL.). I always looked forward to playing with dolls with my girls' because that's all I did as an only child; and it shows because I can make up conversation for days when I play with them...Which is now the problem...I end up doing all the talking for all the dolls while they (my girls') sit in awe...Then I come back to reality and tell them, "Hey, you better help mommy play or I'm leaving you two to figure things out for yourselves." It's funny though, their made up conversations are usually some sort of quarrel too...

On another note, I'm glad to see you still enjoying blogging. Maybe you'll compile these stories into a little book; just a thought.

Tiff

1:42 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

How in the world did you find a way to blog. I thought you were banned from the blog-o-shere! See, you're hooked.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

Oh, and they can throw them Bratz away, cause My Peepz are around the corner.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Kim / POWER OF RUN said...

Gig, your weekend sounds like mine. What fun! And ya know...I thought Don's Peepz looked like they would be great dolls too. It's scary--I'm starting to think like the two of you.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like to talk to tomatoes,
If a squash can make you smile,
If you like to waltz with potatoes,
Up and down the produce aisle...
Have we got a show for you!

Veggie Tales! Veggie Tales!
Veggie Tales! Veggie Tales!
Veggie Tales! Veggie Tales!
Veggie Tales! Veggie Tales!

Broccoli, celery, gotta be Veggie Tales,
Lima beans, collard greens, peachy keen, Veggie Tales,
Cauliflower, sweet and sour, half an hour, Veggie Tales.

There's never ever ever ever ever been a show like Veggie Tales.
There's never ever ever ever ever been a show like Veggie Tales.

It's time for Veggie Taaaaaaaallllleeeeeeessssss!!!!


I love Veggie Tales!!

7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home