Monday, August 08, 2005

I Remember Back in the Day

When there was only one car per family, and no matter how many family members there were, it sufficed very well. If both parents were working,they managed to schedule themselves so they could each go to work, and in those days, the kids walked to school. Some of those schools were kind of far away from home, and when there was snow and the weather was below zero,we walked anyway. I remember getting to school sometimes and my hands would be so cold I could hardly open my hall locker, or upon returning home, I would have to soak my feet/hands in cold water to stop them from hurting. When going to the store, movies, etc., family members often went together, or our parents would send us to the store, but of course there were a lot of neighborhood stores. I don’t don't remember hearing anyone complaining about needing more than one car. In those days, you were blessed to have one car, much less two. Writing his blog is bringing back some very fond memories about my childhood. I will have to elaborate on this some day when I’m ready for everyone to know how really ancient I am. LOL

7 Comments:

Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

lol Mz. Gig, anceint eh haha. I agree with you on allot of that stuff what happened to familes staying together and doing things together. Now days people get married and then decide to change spouses as soon as the new has worn off. It really angers me that people can't keep there commitments when you say I do mean it folks. Spend time with your family love your children and most of all trust God to keep your relationships going in the right direction. If we follow him there is no chance of getting off the track.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

I just cant believe you walked all the way from 23rd place over to North High School. They'd take your kids from you these days if you did that.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't EVEN have a car and I still do pretty well.

6:51 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Actually, Devas, it was from my house on 23rd Street to Callanan Jr. High which is on 31st Street. I admit I took the bus to North High, but I walked home from there a couple of times.

We also walked from 23rd Street to Burns Church every Sunday for church. Yeah, we used to go to Burns Church for a while.

10:09 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Hey Mz. Thang -- where have you been? Yeah times do change and circumstance with them. I'm just afraid that with these times with all the technology, if we were to fall into some serious trying times as is prophetsized in the Bible, we won't have a clue as to how to exist because we are used to having it good. You see what I'm sayin?

Hold on girl -- you are a survivor.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Mz. Gig...I love to tell my mom and dad the following...

I'm old (which I turn 30 on Sunday), therefore my parents are ancient, and in turn that makes my grandparents prehistoric. If I still had great grandparents alive, they would have been pre-Big Bang! hehehehe

I like to joke about it...so don't take offense.

But, bringing up things from childhood is always a good thing. It reminds us of how far we have come. *smiles*

10:59 AM  
Blogger Meka said...

I'm only 29 and I remember that. Growing up we only had one car. We didn't have to walk to school (thank God) but I was sent on many trips to the corner store. Rain or shine, snow or sleet. If my mama needed something we had to go. Good post!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home