Friday, September 02, 2005

Did Grandma Say the Lord's Prayer Right? Ask the Grandson

My grandson is learning the Lord's Prayer. His parents had been teaching him to say it before my trip to Texas. Each morning while dad and mom were gone, I woke up earlier than the little man (that is what we call him). Later that morning I would look up and the grandson would be coming down the stairs. He would run to me with his arms open and then I'd pick him up and he would cuddle and lay his head on my shoulder (I liked the spoiling part). I walked over to the couch and sat down. "It's time to say our prayer" I would tell him. Many times I thought he wouldn't want to say a prayer because of the fact that he had just woke up. I started out with "our father" and he would always, every day, repeat it after me. The first time we said it together; he repeated me word for word. When I got to the part "and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors" (is what I said). He then informed me "no grandma" you are supposed to say "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." I thought, "well excuse me Mr." Anyway for the remainder of my visit, I repeated it his way.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

K loves to say prayers. He reminds me when I forget, and he is selective about who can pray with him when. Yesterday, mommy could not pray with us, but today, he let mommy pray with us.

10:55 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

How did mommy react to the fact that she was excluded from the prayer? Cute picture.

I'm glad he likes to pray.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Very funny

5:21 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

That is awesome brotha buck, The bible tells us to raise up our children in the way they shall go and they will not depart from it. So good for you all teaching him to pray.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Glad you have such a good relationship with all grandkids too Mz. Gig that is really awesome.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words and ways change, unfortunately.

Fortunately, the meaning doesn't.

At least, I think it doesn't.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I have always known it with "trespasses" instead of "debtors". The Episcopal church uses the more traditional, however it is also acceptable to use the more contemporary version. Either way, it works.

The important thing is that the "little man" is praying. I'm glad you all are teaching him that. Too many children these days don't know God.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home