Sunday, September 04, 2005

Do Your Treasures Outlive You

Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal.

But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. Mathew Chapter 6: 19, 20, and 21

Years ago when an elderly cousin of mine passed away, I went to her house with my parents. I looked around and admired all the beautiful things she had. As people were packing clothes, furniture, etc., up, I noticed some brand new towels, bed sheets, etc. She had a great deal of money and a lovely house, and it was furnished nicely. I thought to myself; “this definitely goes to show that you can’t take it with you.” Her lovely home was still there but she was gone and her husband had preceded her in death.

Each and every time someone I know dies, I take the same thought. “Do your treasures outlive you? On the whole, “Yes.” People work hard to get nice things; a beautiful home, and go all out to furnish it, not knowing how long they will be here to enjoy it. I’m not knocking that by a long shot because that’s life. But God wants us to lay our treasures in Him -- to follow him, to cherish Him; after all, we were made for Him. It’s not a bad thing to buy nice things but it becomes bad when we worship those things. God wants us to pay ten percent of our increase to him. Some people feel they can’t afford that because they have to have a new car, have to pay for their home, the new furniture they just bought, go to school, or they may happen to be financially strapped. God looks into your heart and he knows what is more important to us all. We sometimes wonder why we don’t have this and can’t afford that.

I have been doing a great deal of thinking of late and I really feel that when you show God you really trust him, he will come through. I once thought I couldn’t afford to pay tithes but a fellow member of our church told me to just put my faith in him, try him and see if he doesn’t come through. Later on I started paying tithes. That is one of the best things I could have done. In other wards, let God know where he stands with you and as the Bible says “you will be rewarded openly. Remember, even though you cannot take it with you, it’s okay to enjoy it while you are here; however -- rememberGod is our Treasure to PUT HIM FIRST!

4 Comments:

Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Great blog as usual Mz. Gig, love to hear you bragging on the Lord. You are quite the inspiration. I love reading about the Lord and what he puts on others hearts. Sending my love Chris

7:22 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

You set the best examples in how you live. I hope I can be like you when I grow up. also, I hope you don't mind that I logged in to your account and deleted your spams.I can't stand spammers.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Thanks!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some of the best treasures one can have on earth aren't material, but rather things like friendship, love, trust, etc.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home