Saturday, September 17, 2005

"The Pack Rat"

I know there are plenty of pack rats out there, and allow me to introduce you to Momma Pack rat. In this case the old story about grandma’s attic is true. How many of you out there have to give the parents some grief about all the junk they hold onto? I have been getting grief about my junk lately, and one of my offspring has been coming around and giving me a boost in getting rid of stuff. In my basement in cardboard boxes stacked in a neat pile, I have all the mail I have ever received since I’ve been in this house. Every once in a while I decide to go through everything and throw out things I don’t need. You all know the routine of when sorting through junk, old clothes, mail and whatever else -- you start to pitch tthings; however, in the spur of a quick second, you think to yourself -- I’d better not throw this away, I may need it -- only the day never comes that you need it, plus the day doesn’t get here that you decide to pitch it.

Not only does Momma packrat have problems throwing away junk, clothes, mail, etc., but you ought to see my e-mail account, not only at work but at home. I bet I have approximately 35 to 40 messages on my home computer, and that is after I deleted a bunch off e-aforwarding mail I don’t have time to read but instead of trashing it, I keep it because I may need to refer back to it someday. I have approximately 111 e-mails at home -- same old story. Oh yeah, and how many messages do I have on my phone mail -- I’ll never tell.

I got into a conversation with a co-worker last week and we laughed our way through sharing our “pack rat” stories.
In my closet I have approximately 5 of those plastic containers with lids and the junk has been put in categories so it is supposed to be easier to find. Is it easier to find? Wrong -- I forget which container this category is or the other one; therefore; about four or five months later, I decide to go through the junk again and throw out things. Oh boy, I feel pretty good about the things I pitch; but it doesn’t take long before it accumulates and all the while -- time is flying…. So what’s a pack rat to do?

6 Comments:

Blogger Friar Tuck said...

It takes a big woman to admit she has a problem. That is the first step in your 12 step recovery process! :)

9:46 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

ok here is what the survey says if you haven't used it in 6 months git rid of it. I get on peoples nerves telling them to get rid of things. Not kidding I am always going through my stuff and taking loads to the church cause I really don't like clutter. So that is my opinion if you don't use in 6 months Mz G. get rid of it. Oh glad to see you postin again lol

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father was a packrat. It took moving two times before he got rid of a lot of junk. I recommend moving in your case.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

So, Mz. Gig, are you a big woman?

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SOOOO cute!! You know, I am beginning to think that I am also a pack rat, because I have so much stuff piled up in my closet that I seriously need to sort through and THROW AWAY! But there is just so much that also means alot to you that you just can't get rid of...*sigh* Who knows!! :D

5:05 PM  
Blogger Tera Rose said...

Oh man, I had that problem. I had guilt if I threw out anything- you know "you'll never know if you'll need it someday".

Have you seen Flylady.net ?

Seriously, check her out. But if your overloaded on emails, don't sign up. She sends a ton a day. It is all free- and it helped me get rid of the clutter monster in my home.

She jokes about her own habbits and has easy ways to remember things.

One thing; She says you don't have to live in CHAOS anymore-
CHAOS is Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome.

Check her out and let me know if she helps....

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home