Wednesday, September 07, 2005

"Evacuees Coming to Iowa"

The Governor here in Iowa has made provisions for our state to take evacuees from the hurricane disaster in New Orleans, Mississippi, etc. There are a few places here that will put them up for as long as necessary. Also in the newspaper it said that some people may want to offer their homes to some of them.

At work, we were debating whether or not we would open our homes. Most of us would be delighted to do so; however, while discussing it, some said they would be afraid to take in grown ups or teenagers for obvious reasons. I myself have taken in families in the past, and my family and I have been messed over pretty badly by the people we have helped. My parents have also dealt with the same problem. I believe the Lord would expect us to lend a helping hand in any way possible.

One of my co-workers and I said we would take in some small kids who have been separated from parents and/or family. However, another co-worker said that due to the emotional problems caused by the horror of the situation, the kids would probably have a great deal of mental problems, and she adamantly stated that would not be advisable.

It would be nice to have some feedback on this subject. I know that in the Bible it says something to the effect “I was naked and “you clothe me,” “I was hungry and you fed me” (something like that) I always advise everyone to pray about things and believe.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Coming to Iowa! I just had to create a map for the paper that shows the states that are taking in evacuees, and I was wondering how come bleeding-heart Iowa hadn't moved yet. They're kind of late, too. Oh, I don't know about you taking one in. It would be different if you had a 6-foot-two, three hundred pound husband in the house. I know this may sound harsh, but according to some of the images, some of those people were stealing big screen tv's, so you'd have to be careful. A very young child, 3-4ish, who maybe was left orphaned might be ok. Sure, they might have some problems, but remember, I'm from Des Moines, they'll mix right in with the rest of the kids. I think a young kid might be a good idea, and I'm sure you could get some support.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I've even considered the young kid myself, although I haven't mentioned it to the wife.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I'm with Buck on this one. Please be careful. I know we are asked to be godly and kind, but we have to also consider our safety. God does not intend for us to be foolhearty. Just pray and ask God for guidance.

A small child may not be too bad, but a whole family or some single adults might be a bit much.

I'll pray for you.

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home