Tuesday, October 25, 2005

"Pondering What to Do?"

I have a dear friend who is a member of the same church as I. Her daughter recently re-located to Missouri with her 7-year-old son. Before she made her move, her husband of approximately three, maybe four years passed away from cancer of the brain. He was verbally, mental and physical abusive. R. was very unhappy at the time, yet she is having a very hard time adjusting to his death. After moving, R. got a good job and attends church there with her young son.

I recently talked to a friend who was a former member of our church who had also relocated to Missouri. When I asked about R and her son, P, informed me that R. is not doing so well and relayed to me in confidence that she and her son are behaving in rebellious behaviors which was not ike R. before she re-located. The former member asked me not to tell anyone, including R's mother.

If my friend ever found out that I knew something disturbing about her daughter and granddaughter and grandson, she would be furious at me because she feels that I should let her know what's going on with her child. I feel I should fulfill my agreement to not say anything as of yet, or possibly not ever. Yet I think about how I would feel if it were one of my sons and a grandchild having problems away from home. I would want to know if they were having diffiiculties.
Blogging friends, what is your take on this one?

11 Comments:

Blogger Brea said...

You are in a sticky situation. My rule of thumb is, if I haven't seen it for myself, I'm not going to repeat it.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Keep your word and don't tell. Just because you'd want to know doesn't mean you need to know, or that it's best for you to know.If she ever finds out that you knew something you could tell her that you don't believe in passing along gossip, even gossip about her child.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

This is a tough spot to be in. If I were you, until you see the behavior yourself, it is all just heresay. So, don't repeat it. Plus, if you were asked in confidence not to say anything, you should keep it private.

Simply pray and ask God for guidance. But, I believe He would tell you to stay out of the situation.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm this is sort of a tough one, because I can see both points. I think if they really told you to keep quiet, then do say....but really pray about it and leave it in Gods hands, because He knows EVERYTHING that goes on. But I think you've most likely already done this! :)

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

I think it would depend on the situation. If she is hooked on and dealing meth and putting the kid in danger that is one thing.

If she is just going through an ornery phase that is something else entirely.My guess is that it is this.

A guiding question for confidences generally is, as you know, is this person participating in behavior that puts themselves or others in mortal danger.

My guess is that the mother already has a good idea about this anyways. Mothers just have a way of figuring these things out almost intuitively.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Campfyah said...

It all depends on what's your friend description of behaving in a rebellious way. Maybe the daughter and her son are just going through some changes and experiencing life from a different perpective.

I would keep the confidence and not say anything.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Humm Mz. G. my pastor always says if your not a eye witness your a false witness so like Oricon said. I think I would not say anything unless you see for yourself. Just pray like you always do. Chris

5:33 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

At this point I wouldn't say anything. But I would let the person know who told me that how unfair it is to tell me something and than to say don't tell. I would then ask her would she want to know if her child was in trouble. But since you gave your word I wouldn't say anything but I would pray for the woman and her son. I think maybe the mother is not attending church and probably living outside of the church doctrines.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
rental cars and disabled drivers Olga tschechowa cosmetics function tamiflu http://www.meilleurventilateurpouruncpu.info slammed i am t-shirts tamiflu for sale hotels branson

9:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My take on this LPeMail in Iowa is they suck it seems my whole country has been banned from them

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home