Monday, October 17, 2005

"Keeping Mom up to Date"

I am from the old school and pretty much operate that way. To put me and technology together is like trying to mix oil and water. If someone had told me 22 years ago at the beginning of my present employment that I would be operating a computer, I would have laughed my head off. I started off on an old IBM Selectric II typewriter. We used Pica and Elite fonts and correctable ribbon cartridges, which were life savers to me. Later I was upgraded to a Text writer Word processor and was told the company was never going to get a computer. The word processor was complicated but once I caught on, it was enjoyable to use. However, it had very little memory. As time went on and a few supervisors later, things began to advance, and the next thing you know we were using the little (I think they were approximately 8 or 9 inches) Apple Macintosh computers, an LCIII, and finally, a Gateway PC, which most of us at the office operate now.

I was all set to work at my job, live a simple sheltered life of staying in Des Moines, not traveling much, not doing much and growing old that way -- However, my four sons were not going to stand for that. First of all, they talked me into getting a computer at home and helped me to get on the internet and I even had e-mail. Just this year, number one son got me into the blogspot. Next thing you know, my oldest granddaughter had talked me into flying to Texas, which is another venture I had no intention of ever making. This ol girl is getting to be a pro. Later, I learned to drive the highway which was quite an accomplishment for me. First to Waterloo (a two hour drive) and just this year, to Minneapolis! Wow! The only thing I just knew without a shadow of a doubt I was NOT going to do was to get a cell phone. I have no need for a cell phone, after all I have lived all of these years without one.

This past weekend, number three son bought me a cell phon. It is one of those phones that you use in an emergency. He and number two son decided that I need to have one in case I am out somewhere and need help. Okay, that makes sense. To my surprise, I was kind of excited to have it. This morning on the way to work, I got caught in a traffic jam. It must have taken approximately 15 minutes to get a couple of blocks toward my job. “Oh,” I thought, “no problem, I’ll just call my boss on the cell phone.” I reached over and picked up my purse, looked inside and guess what? You’re right, I forgot and left it at home. Well you can’t win them all.

And now, mom is headed for the big time — number 3 son and his wife are taking me on a Christmas cruise!

Related Thought: My dad has always told me that God knew what he was doing when he gave me all boys. I agree, he sure did. They are keeping me young. Moral of this story -- NEVER SAY NEVER!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Great story Mz. G, it amazes me the people who always said they would never use a computer and now are using them regularly. It also amazes me that I was a computer pro in high school and now I barely get by on the things they can do now. wow it just gets more and more advanced but seemingly easier lol. Have a great day

6:27 AM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Imagine what people would have thought about one hundred years ago or so what is happening now

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes you just can't stop advancing. It just happens.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Brea said...

Children keep you young no matter what your age. Isn't life more fun without the shelter?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Now we can call you Miz IT. You think yous it now, huh? Daddy Tim get that phone?

6:45 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Great sons you got there.

Next: Space travel for ya.

10:42 PM  
Blogger African girl, American world said...

Maybe next year, you'll go international on us :)
great blog, love all the back and forth from mom, son and grandbaby on these blogs.

8:03 AM  
Blogger M. Akamau said...

Oh, that's great. You've got some thoughtful sons. Still, I'm like you, and tied to the simplicity of things. I STILL don't have a cell phone, and don't plan on getting one. Shoot. We JUST got a dvd player a couple of weeks ago. Before that, we just used my hubby's PlayStation. Why worry over such things? :) Great post.

Michele

1:41 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Yeah, sometimes I think we depend too much on technology. But then I remember that if it weren't for technology, I wouldn't have met you.

God knows what He's doing. *winks*

Glad to hear you got a cell phone. It IS a handy thing to have in an emergency. I can't count the number of times I feel blessed to have had one when I needed it.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home