Monday, October 03, 2005

"A New Experience"

Last night my two sons (who live here) and my daughter-in law took me to a belated dinner for my birthday. Of course they asked me to choose the restaurant. After pondering this a bit, I decided we needed to go somewhere new and different. I chose a Japanese Steak House called "Taki." I had only been there once with the older of my two sons and his wife. This was the first time for number 3 son.

We were seated shortly after arriving, and went into a room where several people were seated around different tables. Things were fairly normal as they would be in any restaurant. The waitress came and took our orders, and while we were waiting, there was a table of people seated beside us with one of those grills in front of them. We watched as the chef performed many tricks with the utensils he was using, and number 3 son took note of his juggling the eggs and tossing them up in the air and catching them with his spatula. He poured a littl oil on the grill, and all of a sudden, a large fire blared up from the table beside us. Number 3 son's eyes got big as he jumped up in a slight effort to move away, thinking something was on fire. He was completely unaware of what was going on. Naturally we cracked up at him and the expression on his face. We re-assurred him that everything was alright and this is something that is done all the time. The guy cooks the food right in front of us; the rice with all the trimmings, the chicken and beef and then the vegetables, all the while seasoning everything. A chef at another table close to us did the same thing by pouring some kind of oil on the grill and lighting it up, using a match, and that's when the fire flaired up, which startled my son again. After a while it was time to come to our table. I watched as my son was a bit uncomfortable. We tried to make him feel at ease by letting him know that it's not dangerous. After the guy put the oil on our grill, he lit it and the fire flaired up. Number 3 son jumped out of his seat and backed away. That's when he finally realized that it was okay. He finally pulled his chair back to the table and the chef teased him a little, he finally finished cooking and we had a wonderful meal and a great time.


Related Thought: You should have seen me the first time I went to "Taki."

8 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

I would have been crackin up at #3 son getting the crap scared out of him. lol...lol!

11:59 AM  
Blogger ShellyP said...

We have a similar place down here called Benihana's. We love to eat there. It's always fun and the food is really good.

1:46 PM  
Blogger San Nakji said...

We love our local Teppanyaki place. Yay Japanese food! Second only to Korean food ;-)

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to a place like that. I don't think the place was Japanese, though. It might have been Chinese.

8:58 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Shelly, I was gonna say the same thing. Behihana is the only place I know of. As of roughly 10 years ago, it was about $30 a person, but the show was priceless.

It made me think of a Three's Company episode where Jack (John Ritter) was hired as a chef at a restaurant like that. Of course, being a great physical comedian that he was, Ritter put on a funny show resulting in an unmitigated disaster. The people sitting at the table were all Japanese and they finally decided to walk out. One of them said to another, "I told you. We should have had pizza." LOL.

Did somebody mention Korean food, san nakji?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

I have never been to a place exactly like that. Interesting....

9:51 AM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I have been to Benihana's and Shogun. They are great restaurants! I love to watch the chefs. hehehe

It sure sounds like you and the family had a great time Mz. Gig, even with the flamage and excitement!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Tera Rose said...

That sounds funny. I am not too sure I would appreciate flames bursting in the air close to my hair either!

We don't have any resturants like those around here as far as I know. The only japanese resturant that I know of sells sushi and I don't beleive in eating raw fish! It just ain't right!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home