Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Why the Name?

I have been blogging for quite some time now and have linked several other bloggers. The questions that keep coming to mind is, "why did you pick that name and what does it mean?" The first time that thought came to mind is when I first saw -- "You Told Harpo to Beat me" and "Kira's Slave." That's interesting.

Sometimes while driving, I spot cars with personal license plates. I love to try and figure out what they are saying or the meanings. It would be so much fun to have a contest just to find out how many of those each person can guess.

I don't think I have to tell anyone why I chose "Thegiget," because that name speaks for it's self. For those of you who are unaware of the meaning of giget, it means I am little. Ha, ha -- everyone walks up to me and says "wow, you are short." Not a midget but somewhat taller (as in giget), and to shorten it -- Mz. Gig; Get the drift?

Why did you chose your user name and what does it mean?

8 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Hello,

well, no I didn't know why you chose Giget. Its funny how no matter how short your mother is, you never quite think of her as short. You know where I got Buck from. Dad. And its ironic I used it because I can't stand the name, or could I stand it when he called me that.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Brea said...

I'm short too - I know how you feel! I hate shopping for pants . . . Anyway, to your question: I just use my name. I like my name b/c it is unique, it is who I am. In fact, I wrote a whole post about it http://headsturn.blogspot.com/2005/08/what-is-in-name.html

9:24 PM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

I have a story behind the name (username: During daytime, Greek philosopher Diogenes used to take an oil lamp, lit it and walk in the streets of Athens city. “Why lit a lamp during the bright light of the day people used to ask?” Where is the light, the philosopher used to counter question? “It is dark all around.” People used to call him a mad man. But he was not mad!

Abbas Khan, great story writer, has taken the lamp from that philosopher and is lighting by telling us about the incidents in his book Din Mein Charagh that make difference in the life of others, that make any one different from others, that make human a human. While translating the book into English, I suggested Light Within for Din Mein Charagh, which is being published now. Hence the name Light Within.

Long commnet? But you asked for this;-)

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually blogged myself about it; can be found here

10:01 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

I have blogged about my name as well. I'm glad now that I understand what your's means. *smiles*

Mine is Quenya Elvish for Heather Lynne. True translation from the language that J.R.R. Tolkien created when he wrote The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. (And his many others to follow involving Middle Earth)

2:04 PM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

Friar Tuck I think is pretty obvious with me. I am a fun-loving minister who takes his faith very seriously, but likes to be real and laid-back and have a good time.

For a further explanation see my quote under the title of my blog. And then note who wrote it.

And Brotha Buck I found funny because that is one of the names that my Dad wanted to name me. My mother interviened. Praise God. He also liked Emmitt.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

lol I got my name from my name hehe haha

1:52 PM  
Blogger M. Akamau said...

I chose the name Testimony and Truth, because much of my blog is about my life and experiences...my 'testimony' if you will --- particularly as they relate to the ultimate Truth (God), and my faith journey with Him.

Peace,
Michele

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home