Monday, July 31, 2006

"The Crazy Things we Do and Laugh About"

One of my daughters-in-law and I have a unique relationship in that we share funny tidbits about ourselves with each other. We both have funny senior moments, laugh and try to blame it on the fact that those funny things happen as a result of us being around each other.

When I was there helping with my granddaughter who recently had a bone marrow transplant to be cured of sickle cell disease, we kidded, joked and crummed on each other for the whole two weeks I was there. It was therapeutic.

Some of the things we shared were stupid little habits we have, and it was funny when we found out that both of us do those crazy things, for instance: I don't like to see people sleeping with their heads buried in a pillow because I'm afraid they will suffocate; consequently, if I happen to put a stuffed bear, a doll, or etc. on it's face, I will turn it face up as though I actually think it might suffocate, or I don't put boxes of food upside down on the shelf because if a human being is on his/her head too long, the blood will rush to it. It's almost as though I think everything has feelings like I do; however, I really know better. As we were sharing these funny little habits, my granddaughter began to laugh at us, and she decided that for my sake, she will make sure that all of her dolls are face up.

About a week ago, I went grocery shopping. Among my groceries, I purchased a can of beans. When I opened it, the first thing I saw was a bug floating on top. In order to make sure it was a bug, I took it out with a spoon and it began to move. Therefore, I got a sandwich bag and put the bug in so that I could return it, along with the beans to the grocery store. But wait, "this bug may suffocate in the bag" O thought;" therefore, I punched a whole in it so the bug could breathe.

My daughter-in-law and I usually have what I call "senior moments," such as looking all over for my purse and it's on my shoulder, putting something in the refrigerator that should be put in the oven,looking for her glasses and they are on top of her head, etc. Sharing these little tidbits can be amusing, and laughing at them between the two of us is therapeutic. I enjoy my time with her because we have this kind of relationship and we laugh at ourselves a lot, plus we have crazy fun times with the kids. She cracks me up because she knows every word of the songs that her kids listen to on CD's or the radio.

Today, I was talking to one of the secretaries at work and she shared with me that last night she got a sweet tooth and wanted something sweet to eat but there was nothing around the house; therefore, she happened to have a container of icing and ate all of it. I fell out laughing because I have done that same thing several times.

There are so many other "dumb" things that we do, and laugh about when we share them with each other. Actually, it is funnier when you hear us tell it because we are able to put more umph into our stories.

7 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

"crummed " now that's a word I ain't heard in a long time.

8:41 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

But you do know what it means, right Buck?

8:33 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Lauren -- at least my daughter-in-law and I are not the only ones who do special little things like that. I thought that anyone who reads this post may have the guys in the little white jackets come after me. he he he

8:01 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Eating a whole can of icing, is a little to sweet for me. It's funny that you and your daughter -n- law have those things in common.

11:11 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Rose -- what if it is chocolate icing? I haven't seen very many people who can resist chocolate. he he he

5:41 AM  
Blogger Friar Tuck said...

We all have our little quirks.

So funny!

One of mine is always making sure tips when paying on debit/credit are always rounded to the nearest even dollar amount.

2:26 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Clint you are funny. Yes we all have funny things we do -- that's what makes life amusing.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home