Sunday, December 31, 2006

Why the Tears???

So why in the world did I get tears in my eyes when I read about Saddam Hussein being hanged? He was one of the most brutal individuals I’d ever known of. When I read the article on the internet, I guess it hit me but why I do not know. I never have liked capital punishment but even I agreed with his fate when I heard about it, sooooo why the tears?
Well it must have something to do with the fact that he has been in the news so much; it’s almost as though we lost a famous movie star, maybe??? No! that’s not it -- I think it was when I read about his insistence on not wearing a hood and shouting “God is Good!” That is what brought the tears to my eyes, because I could envision this man hanging on the gallows without the hood (how gross that must have been). Anyhow, I also thought about all of the people who suffered and died at his hand and how he had to suffer the consequences of his own actions, just like some of the villains in the Bible.

Do you realize how you are witnessing history and will tell your children and grandchildren about the historical events taking place today (Gulf war, 911, a president who was impeached, Iraq war, President Bush, etc.)? These are all unpleasant events but one day your offspring will ask you about it as it will be part of their history lesson. I remember when John Glenn first walked on the moon, I had just delivered number three son. When President Kennedy was killed, I was in our living room vacuuming the floor when the news came on that he had been shot (was pregnant with number 1 son). I remember how stunned I was and how hard it had hit me when the announcement came on television that he had died. Programming was off for three days due to the news coverage of the events surrounding his death and I can still hear in my mind the beat of the drums and the horse and carriage that carried his body. I remember the evening news about Robert Kennedy being assassinated. President Eisenhower’s inauguration and the presidential elections way back then when he ran twice against Adelaide Stevenson and won both times. I can still remember when Malcolm X was killed, Hawaii became a state, the March on Washington, also when Martin Luther King was assassinated, when Emmett Till was killed, and many other historical events.

4 Comments:

Blogger Believer said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvTIOMZ6g2w

I realize a lot of you will probably disagree but this is just how I feel about Saddam Hussein being hanged.

-----------------------

I didn't watch this through, but her video though lengthy (4:15) has over 19,000 views so far.

I'm not sure this young girl understands the nature of Saddam's actions throughout the years. And, she has no clue about "reaping what you sow" or accountability.

http://avoicetobeheard.blogspot.com/

11:29 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Oh my, you are setting yourself up against for another 'you-are-so-old' taunt. Hey Buck, be nice.

Speaking of which, I am running into 'kids' in their 20's who are too young to remember the fall of the Berlin Wall. It feels like it happened yesterday!

People think things are tough right now, but I certainly appreciate that the 60's and 70's were far more turbulent than it is now.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

It was sad no matter what he did. Persecuting people is no easy task to do and to watch.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Saddam pretty much became a tv personality, a media villian that we loved to hate, like in a movie. Thing is, he did some terrible things and deserved to die.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home