Tuesday, February 06, 2007

BUSTED? NO EMBARASSED! "HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

This past Christmas eve, I spent the night at number two son’s house. Early the next morning, we exchanged gifts. My daughter-in-law had made things so fun and cute. Outside of our main gift, she brought a stocking for each of us and inside were some very nice stocking stuffers, plus she gave us other gifts beside. It was very festive and pleasant. One of my gifts was a couple of CD’s of old soul music from back in my day. It came in a package with a square key chain that played part of “When a Man Loves a Woman” when you pressed a button in front of it. Instead of putting my keys on it, I kept it in a little valentine shaped box where I keep a few keepsakes.

Last Friday, my number 4 son’s wife called and told me she was coming to town and was bringing the grandkids with her. Of course that made my day, in fact, my whole weekend. I always look forward to having my grandkids come to town and spend time with me. I guess you might say that this is my pride and joy. Anyway, I made arrangements to take the two older ones with me to church for Sabbath School and then mom would pick them up before 11:00 Worship services because she and her best friend had planned to take the girls out for the afternoon. In order to do this, I needed to give my her the key to my house and she would bring it back to me when she picked up the girls from church. I wanted to put the key on a key chain so she could keep track of it, therefore, I grabbed the one I got for Christmas, slipped the key on it and gave it to her. After Sabbath School, mom came, picked up the girls and gave me back the key to my house.

I placed it in my purse and went into the sanctuary for 11:00 Worship Service, where I sang special music and presented the children’s story to the little ones for the Children’s Ministry segment of the service. While the pastor was preaching the sermon, I felt a need to take a cough drop because my throat became dry. I began digging in my purse to get a cough drop out and accidentally hit the button on the front of the key chain and the music “When a Man Loves a Woman” began playing fairly loudly, at which time several people looked over at me (and if looks could kill, I would have been a dead duck). I looked up and around, and proceeded to walk out; removed the key and placed the keychain in my little classroom and stayed out in the foyer, while all along my mind was thinking about my position as Children's Ministry Leader, Deaconness, Singer, and all of the things I do in the church and in one split second, I was busted as a worldly person. ("How could this happen?") -- Will people judge me as a bad person now?

When the services were almost over an usher came and asked me if I was going to go back in. I told him I was too embarrassed to go back in. This usher, who happens to be a very pleasant person with a sense of humor, told me in his pleasurable way not to worry, that things happen and told me to go back in. I reluctantly re entered the sanctuary. After the service, I started back to my classroom to get the key chain and heard the song going again, at which time I looked up and a couple of the church kids had gotten a hold of the chain and pressed the button again. I quickly retrived it and placed it my coat pocket. Later I found out that people thought it was my cell phone and was, I explained the key chain situation and how it came to be in my purse. It is now back in the little heart shaped box where it should have been the day it went to church with me. What an experience; and an embarrassing one at that. Can you imagine how the pastor must have felt when this music all of a sudden drowned him out while he was preaching? :-( Well, as Forest Gump says: “Gump Happens".

I would like to read some of your embarassing moments. They are not funny at the time but it's good to laugh about them later on. :-D

11 Comments:

Blogger Believer said...

Hysterical!

We all get found out -- there's a little worldly in each of us.

Unfortunately, embarrassing moments are just ahead with my toddler.

11:07 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

Haha!

I got one of those things for Christmas as well. How funny. It is a college fight song.

It would be nice to have a button to turn it off if it accidentally goes off.

At least it wasn't Madonna's Like a Virgin.

9:54 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Actually Dave, I pushed the button to turn it off, but remembered that you don't push the button to turn it off, but it goes off on it's own; therefore, the song kept playing.

4:28 PM  
Blogger David Cho said...

What is going on with Buck? His hiatus is getting to be a bit too long. Is he that busy?

2:24 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Yes, Cho -- He is, plus he may be getting a little bored with the blogging. I believe he will be back soon.

12:06 PM  
Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said...

That was too funny. Like rosemarie said.. there is a little wordly in all of us. That makes us human.

I can't think of an embarassing moment right now. I think mostly because I don't get embarassed easily because I am a firm believer in "Gump Happens" That's just life. Oh well.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Now that was funny...but not too worry, everybody enjoys old school music....I have to think of something embarrassing...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

I tried to contact you through email from your profile, but it failed.

So here goes...

Hi Mz. Gig,

I wanted to send you a personal email with my apologies. I also wrote on the comment section the following:

To those who have had trouble like Mz. Gig in commenting I have omitted the step of "word verification.” My apologies.

Thanks for your patience!

My Sunday Best has just been posted on how God uses many sources to tell us a message. Come and visit! I sure hope it's a better experience this time around.

Blessings,
Rosemarie
Voice on Miscellaneous Matters
http://ruhoffman.blogspot.com/

12:15 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

LOL!! Poor Mz. Gig. I've gone that. hehehe

My cell phone has the tendency to ring at the most inappropriate times like church, the bathroom at a store, etc. ehehe

The most embarrassing that every happened to me...was...my mother in law and I were at Barnes and Noble. I had to go to the bathroom, so I made my way there. My mother in law was looking all over for me because she was trying to go to the checkout line. I have a discount card and she wanted to borrow it. Well, she called my cell phone to find me. I thought it was an emergency, so I answered it. Now, I had already finished my "business" so to say, and was trying to wash my hands. She asks me..."Where are you? I'm at the register."

So, I tell her, "I'm in the bathroom, I'll be right there." So, she says really loud to the clerk at the country..."My daughter in law will be here in a minute. She's in the bathroom."

I got up there and the whole world seemed to be looking at me.

It was REALLY embarrassing!!!

4:04 PM  
Blogger San Nakji said...

Being an avid photographer, I decided to take as many photos as I could at my friend's wedding. To my embarrassment when I look at their wedding album, my hand and my camera are in almost every photo... Whoops!

Thanks for your comment, it was very nice :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger The Gig said...

San Nakji -- LOL, LOL, LOL -- your comment cracked me up. It's funny how you can laugh once the embarrassing moments are over. :-)

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home