Saturday, February 03, 2007

What to Eat or Not to Eat - What Does the Bible Tell You?

This evening my dad, his wife and I had a conversation about the Bible. While we were talking, we touched on the subject of what we should or should not eat.

I referred to I Timothy Chapter 4, verses 1 – 5 that says:

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils:
2. Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron:
3. Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.
4. For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
5. For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.


I also went to Romans Chapter 14 where it reads:

Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another who is weak, eateth herbs.
3. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4. Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5. One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord: and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord, he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks: and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not and giveth God thanks.
7. For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8. For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live, therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.

What in your opinion, what are these scriptures saying to you?

4 Comments:

Blogger Believer said...

I know there are many Christian health books and programs, but I don't follow any of them.

In Romans we aren't to judge. God is always saying that -- nothing new under the sun.

Personally, I enjoy eating meat and couldn't see giving up my hamburgers, hot dogs, or pork. Yum!

12:44 AM  
Blogger San Nakji said...

Or bacon! :)

2:31 AM  
Blogger Believer said...

Hi Mz. Gig,

Come check out My Sunday Best to be posted weekly. Today was the first post.

What a blessing to share our faith online!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

you're ADVENTIST?!!!!
I always see your comments on Brotha Buck's blog but never visited your blog until now.

I'm adventist too. sort of. So I can't even comment on this post. I mean, I can't even be in the same room with pork while it's being cooked. I will.be.sick.
But I can't get mad at other people for eating what they eat. Not really.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home