Tuesday, July 05, 2005

"STANDING IN FOR MY MOM"

During the middle of last week, I took a trip to Chicago. Thanks to those of you who wished me well. Did I have a good time? I didn’t think so at first but after I caught the Greyhound to come home, I began to think about the whole situation and I realized it was a good visit after all.

My mother’s sister, Aunt D., lives in Chicago with her daughter, son-in-law and step-grandson. Approximately three years ago, she had a heart attack, and she is also diabetic. She has basically had to stay at home each day, you might say “alone” due to the fact that her daughter and step-grandson works during the day, and her son-in-law generally stays in his room. My aunt is very lonely.

While there, I spent a great deal of time with her; keeping her company. She loves to have me come visit her because I remind her of my mother. In fact, I am almost a spitting image of my mother, especially when I wear my glasses. When I am there, it fills a void, one for the loss of my mother, and the other because she has company. My aunt once told me that when I am there, it is like having my mother there. I didn’t think too much of it until her daughter repeated the same thing to me. During the visit, I was a little out of sorts because I wanted to get out a little more than I did and do some fun things, but my aunt would get upset if my cousin took me anywhere.

When I got on the Greyhound , on the way home, I got a chance to think. I am flattered to be able to step in my mother’s shoes for a few days, and if it makes her sister happy to have me there, “standing in for my mom” that is beautiful. My heart goes out to both my aunt and her daughter as she not only takes care of her mother, she takes care of everyone. She is one of God’s sweet spirited people who loves everyone, and everyone loves her too. I am learning, by the Grace of God to appreciate the older people in my life and cherish every second I am blessed to have to spend with them. To you Aunt D. I love you -- thanks for making me feel special.

6 Comments:

Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

*HUGS* Mz. Gig, that was a wonderful thing you did. I'm sure your Aunt appreciated having you there to keep her company.

I'm glad you did have a nice time. We all missed you here, but I know that you had God's work to do.

*HUGS*

9:44 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Ya I would have to agree with Oricon on this you did a wonderful thing Mz. Gig, it blesses me to think there people like you in the world. I think I would do the same thing if I where in your shoes. Older folks just are so full of love and information if people would only take the time to listen. I love listening to your adventures. Keep the blogs coming they are very inspiring. Love Chris

6:25 AM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

I think that is very nice that you did that, too. Very selfless. I don't think I could have done that though. I'd have had to let everyone know right off, I'm me, so enjoy me for me and what I have to offer. But you'll also notice how many "I's" and "me's" are in this post.

9:22 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Actually, my attitude was not the best while I was there. It was only after I left and got on the bus that I realized I should have had a more understanding attitude than I did. Therefore next time I visit, I will feel a whole lot better about it.

Devas, I have also taken notice to how many I/me's I have been putting into my blogs. I am trying to cut down on them. I have never thought of myself as an "I" "me" person, but I guess I am too.

By the way folks, Aunt "D" stands for Aunt Dukey -- I don't know how she got this nickname but she's had it all her life. :-)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that you had a good time, Mz. Gig.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I''m familiar with this subject too

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home