Saturday, September 24, 2005

"The Bare Necessities?"

When I logged onto the internet tonight, the first thing that caught my attention was a question on the AOL Top News. It said: If you needed to evacuate your town what would you take and what would you leave? That, I would say is quite thought provoking. After pondering it for a bit, I thought about Jesus -- how would he expect me to handle such a situation? He immediately brought to my mind a scripture, from his Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 6:19 - 21 where it says: "Lay not up for yourselves treasures on earth" (verse 19), But lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven" (Verse 20), "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
Many people are finding it hard to leave their treasures behind, i.e., their homes; things they have worked so hard most of their lives to achieve. They have spent hundreds and thousands of dollars not only in schooling but in their life's work to get the homes, furnishings, clothes, cars; all the necessities and luxuries they have always longed for. It's a hard decision to just up and leave it all behind, and for what? To save your life and the lives of those whom you love? Nonsense! What is a life without all those treasures you have worked most of your life to achieve?

What did Jesus do? He only gave his life and all he had to save us from eternal destruction -- so what!
What did I say??? Here's what I'm saying! Jesus' main purpose was to sacrifice himself and all he had for us, which is what he did. I'm sure as a person in the flesh, it was not easy, but because he was obedient he did his father's will -- HE GAVE IT ALL! (I'm not by all means minimizing what Jesus did, I'm trying to make a point).
Read Matthew 6: 24 and 25. Read Matthew 6:33 & 34 which sums up the fact that we should seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and all of these things shall be added unto you.

When Christ was here, he had no home or no place to lay his head, but he went about his father's business.
I say all of this to say: "If I had to be evacuated from my home, what would I take and what would I leave behind? (One of my favorite Disney movies is "Jungle Book") where Ballou, the Bear sings "Look for the bare necessities the simple bare necessities." What would your bare necessities be?

20 Comments:

Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Mz. Gig. You are such a sweet simple ole thing. I just love you.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Tera Rose said...

I love the jungle book too....

I find myself thinking those things lately after the hurricanes.

What is important? First is my children and husband, obviously.

But if I had time, I would still want the photos of the times that we have had together and one more thing. . .

There is a big picture on my wall in the living room. It was given to us as a wedding gift. The woman who organized buying it for us is fighting cancer and was told last month that she only has two months left with us. . . .

It is a picute of a table with a tea cup, pot and flower arrangement. Laying next to those on the table are the words to the song, "In the Garden".

There is a caption under the picture that holds the verse to that song.

See, this is the song that I came down to the isle to marry my husband to.

I have my children's first pair of shoes hanging on my wall next to their baby portraits; I would want them too.

nothing else.

but if it meant any one of my families' lives- I would leave ALL of it behind.

great post.

You know, I used to license foster homes and the best homes we had were the seventh day adventist homes. That is if we were to do a study on what religions the homes were.

Those foster homes were stable, consistant, had a sound support system in a church family, fed the kid's healthier food and lived what they were taught at church.

just thinking outloud after reading that you were an adventist.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Christopher M. Beatrice said...

Ok Mz. G. I will blog my answer to your question here shortly. I like this it will take some thought but I thank I already know what I would take. And it wouldn't be much cause things are not important.. Like I tell Lauren and others for example it is just a car it can be replaced. same as the house and its contents. Great post.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Icey said...

First. thank you for posting on my site. I GREATLY appreciate that...don't be a stranger!

What would I take with me?

My girls and my fire proof, water proof lock box. It has everything that I would need in it!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

Hi Don Tate recomend that I read your blog. Glad that I did. Very interesting. If I had to leave quickly I would grab my daughter, husband and dog. Then I would grab important papers,water and food. After reading your profile I found we have something in common-adventism.

10:44 PM  
Blogger San Nakji said...

I would just stay put... I couldn't leave my home

11:25 PM  
Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

My kids, my Bible, my journals, my pictures....

All except my kids could be replaced...but they are the things most dear to me.

Wonderful blog! So glad I came by..I'll be back. Hope to see your face over @ mine.
Stay blessed!!!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Well, being the uber nerd I am, I already have an emergency kit prepared. And...well, I don't even live in a hurricane area. I have canned food, batteries, water, clothing, blankets, medication, money and first aide supplies.

I would also take my two Bibles, my prayer book and my photo album of me and JP. Other than that, everything else could be replaced.

JP would be right beside me, and we would be heading for higher ground.

12:41 PM  
Blogger ShellyP said...

It's your birthday!
It's your birthday!
Happy birthday and may God grant you many more years to be harassed by grandchildren.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy, HAPPY Birthday! And many, many more!



From Rinda M. Byers

7:31 PM  
Blogger DramaFree said...

Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a wonderful day!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Brotha Buck said...

Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday! Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday!Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday to ya!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Varian Johnson said...

Happy birthday!! I hope your blog-happy son buys you a very expensive gift.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Happy Happy Birthday, on this special day!
Happy Happy Birthday, I wish you fun and play!
Happy Happy Birthday, may all your dreams come true...
Happy Happy Birthday, from Heather Lynne to you!!

May God bless you, give you long life and health, and may you receive lots of love, joy and happiness, all the days of your life!!

God be with you and bless you, Bloggie Mommie! *SUPER HUGS*

Love ya!

8:57 PM  
Blogger San Nakji said...

Hope I'm not too late....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Saengshin Chukhadeurimnida!

11:05 PM  
Blogger princessdominique said...

I think I'd grab husby, my cats Ninja and Jing Jing and head out the door. Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Pipi Longstockings said...

I heard thru the grapevine (a grapevine named Brotha Buck) tht its your birthday! So heres a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Many happy years of good health, good laughs & good times! HAPPY BIRTHDAY again!!! God bless

6:58 AM  
Blogger Phil Plasma said...

Happy birthday and plenty of raw metaphorically inclined rhythm!

8:04 AM  
Blogger LadyLee said...

Happy belated birthday;)

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home