Monday, July 18, 2005

CELEBRATING DAD'S 85TH BIRTHDAY

Today is my dad’s 85th birthday and he is still employed. He believes that God expects him to work until he dies. He has always been a hard worker and at one time held down two jobs. After he gets home daily from his employment, he always finds more to do, just constantly doing something all day. His doctor told me years ago that if I stopped him from working he would die. I thank God that he is still able to get around and work.

Approximately 20 years ago, he was diagnosed with colon cancer and had to undergo surgery. They got it all and he has been pretty healthy since.

My dad’s wife is preparing a birthday dinner for him, and the family has been invited to their home to help him celebrate. Last year we had a BIG picnic, and most of his children, grandchildren, great grandchildren and great, great grandchildren were there. It was a surprise party. We chose a nice park on the south side of town, put up many decorations, told him nothing so when it came time to take him there, he thought he was going elsewhere and was very surprised when he got there and saw the decorations, food and family. It turned out to be pretty nice for him.

“Daddy” as I affectionately call him can work my nerves at times as he is the KING of manipulation when it comes to me. I think this is typical of parents when they reach the senior citizen stage, (with the exception of myself- right guys)? Because I love him dearly it is hard to tell him "no" about anything and he knows it. Sometimes I feel as though I’m raising him, even though he has a wife who I believe also feels as though she is raising him (as I say jokingly). Ours has become the typical “daddy/daughter” relationship, however, this has not always been the case, but I will always cherish it when he’s not causing me stress "SMILE.* You know what I’m saying? Ha ha -- He calls me “his little Angel” which is a name that maybe I have deserved for being his “other mother.” *Big grin*

“Daddy” is one of those people who is hard to buy for because he has everything, so I have been pondering what to get him, I finally came up with an idea that no one else would think of. This may be weird but I decided to buy him a gift certificate to the Barbershop for some haircuts.

SO, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY 85 YEAR OLD DAD; MAY YOU HAVE MANY MORE!

3 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

To the barbershop for some haircuts. LOL! Thats funny.

8:21 AM  
Blogger The Gig said...

Actually, since the Target out on Euclid is going out of business and moving to Merle Hay Mall, they are having a sale and I went out there and got a pair of pants and a shirt for him. So there, how do you like those apples? ha, ha -- you are so funny, honey.

I'm uplifted today; I just wrote a blog about one of my favorite subjects.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Oricon Ailin said...

Happy Birthday to Mz. Gig's daddy!!!!

WOW!! 85 years young! Awesome!!

God Bless!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home